What is your best Ich treatment or Ich medication?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
currently have problem with ich on my new loaches :(
i've dosed my 300 gal tank with only 10 tablespoon salt, can i increase the dosage? because i've red clown loaches can't take salt?

i've also added a heater. i would like to avoid meds that would mess up my filter if possible.
i've treated clown loaches with 1 tsp of salt per gallon successfully. i did not add the salt all at once. i mixed up enough to treat the tank in my bucket, then poured in a lil at a time, about every hour or so until it was all in there.

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
I used table salt, mortons accually and treated 2 times 2 different tanks.
the first time was when I reiceved my guppies and they had ick, so did the platty babies. in the tank was also cherry shrimp and snails. I treated for 2 weeks high heat and the salt treatment and my fish, everyone of them did wonderfully. so did the snails and the shrimp

I treated my 55 gallon tank a month or so ago as my bolivian ram had it. not sure how he got it, I have had him for 2 years, but I believe it was the stress of being constantly put in a corner while the fire mouth and the blood parrot laid eggs.
I treatd with salt, and with high heat and that tank did awsome to.
I advocate salt for treating ick.

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
the first time i used aquarium salt, the box looks like regular salt, basically has regular salt in it and cost $4. the second time i used regular salt.

terror

AC Members
May 23, 1999
Manila, Philippines
Did you dissolve the salt, terror? I treat my loaches using heat and salt treatment. Dissolve salt first before adding it to the tank. Try a tablespoon per 5g dosage. What's the temperature right now?

thanks current tank temp is at 28 Deg celcius, my tank has lots of aeration.
I dissolved the salt first before adding the salt solution to my tank.
concentration is now at 1 tablespoon per 10 gallon, I will try to increase the concentration later :d

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
I suspect the Spanner Barbs died because of the ich, not the salt. Assuming it was the salt is a Post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.

Commodore 64

AC Members
Feb 26, 2008
Kent, Ohio
I dose with malachite green medicine. I used Rid Ich. Dose for 0.05 mg/l, and do it every other day, for 3 doses (so 6 days of treatment). For my 55g tank, at teh concentration of malachite green in Rid-Ich, this worked out to 12 drops per gallon (note the instructions say 1 drop per gallon!, this is way too high). U turned my temperature u p to 82 degrees, which gives the ich parasite a life cycle of ~3 days. You can only kill the ich when it is free swimming..the meds don't help when the ich is encysted on the fish.

Purportedly, if you dose at 0.05 ppm (mg/l) you shouldn't see adverse reactions in any of your tank inhabitants. For my part, I can say that using that dosage, cherry shrimp, nerite snails, trumpet snails, cory cats, clown loaches, and synodontis cats showed no signs of stress or ill effects. And it did not kill off my filter bacteria.

Most tank meds are oxidizers (they use up dissolved O2 in your tank) so it is important to add a bubbler and lower your water level if using a HOB in order to facilitate O2 uptake in the water. Malachite green is also photodegradable so turn off your tank lights too.

It did turn the coarse sponges in my Fluval, and the silicone sealant in my 55g green/blue, but that was the only adverse side effect that I noted.

terror

AC Members
May 23, 1999
Manila, Philippines
I dose with malachite green medicine. I used Rid Ich. Dose for 0.05 mg/l, and do it every other day, for 3 doses (so 6 days of treatment). For my 55g tank, at teh concentration of malachite green in Rid-Ich, this worked out to 12 drops per gallon (note the instructions say 1 drop per gallon!, this is way too high). U turned my temperature u p to 82 degrees, which gives the ich parasite a life cycle of ~3 days. You can only kill the ich when it is free swimming..the meds don't help when the ich is encysted on the fish.

Purportedly, if you dose at 0.05 ppm (mg/l) you shouldn't see adverse reactions in any of your tank inhabitants. For my part, I can say that using that dosage, cherry shrimp, nerite snails, trumpet snails, cory cats, clown loaches, and synodontis cats showed no signs of stress or ill effects. And it did not kill off my filter bacteria.

Most tank meds are oxidizers (they use up dissolved O2 in your tank) so it is important to add a bubbler and lower your water level if using a HOB in order to facilitate O2 uptake in the water. Malachite green is also photodegradable so turn off your tank lights too.

It did turn the coarse sponges in my Fluval, and the silicone sealant in my 55g green/blue, but that was the only adverse side effect that I noted.

thanks :) i bought a bottle of malachite green, but currently trying trying heat and salt first, will observe tomorrow, hope my loaches make it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store