what size tank would be best ??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

emma angeleen

AC Members
Jan 10, 2021
i’ve never really had fish before other than a couple bettas so i’m very new to this lmao

i want to get one gourami , ten - twelve tetras and a clown pleco ,, but i’m not sure what size tank would be best to keep them happy

like is a twenty gallon too small ?

please help lmao thank you

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
As. If as you can IMO because you will want to upgrade soon lol

but seriously the bigger the tank the easier to take care of in the aspect of water parameters. They won’t get out of control as fast because of the water dilution.

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
Since your question remains unanswered...
Yes, a 20gallon should be fine, particularly if it is a 20gal long (as opposed to a 20g high).
There are many kinds of tetras, some larger, some smaller, some quite boisterous, some calm and chill. It matters a lot. You may not want larger tetras in a 20g.
You should plan on weekly (minimum) water changes, and to go make sure of not adding fish until your tank is cycled.
Something like silver-tip tetras, lemon tetras or neons may be good for you. Good luck!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Since your question remains unanswered...
Yes, a 20gallon should be fine, particularly if it is a 20gal long (as opposed to a 20g high).
There are many kinds of tetras, some larger, some smaller, some quite boisterous, some calm and chill. It matters a lot. You may not want larger tetras in a 20g.
You should plan on weekly (minimum) water changes, and to go make sure of not adding fish until your tank is cycled.
Something like silver-tip tetras, lemon tetras or neons may be good for you. Good luck!
+1

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
For a starter tank, I really like standard 29gal. It's the taller version of a 20gal long.

Keep in mind Petco is running their $1/gal sale until the end of January on Aqueon tanks. They say it applies to 10, 20, 29, but 40 breeders, 55's and 75's are discounted as well.

Reactions: FishAddict74

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
thank you so much !!
What everyone said is 100% accurate, one thing I’ll add is after 35 years of fish keeping, trust me , get the biggest tank that you can. If you have room for a 40, but get the 20 , you’re almost certainly going to end up getting the 40 later anyway.

Reactions: Wyomingite

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
"For a starter tank, I really like standard 29gal. It's the taller version of a 20gal long."

I think there is a typo here, otherwise it is not correct. A standard 29g is NOT the taller version of a 20g long. There are 20g long and 20g tall, the latter taller but shorter (length). And then, there are standard 29g tanks, which obviously hold a slightly larger volume. And then, of course there are 30 long tanks as well.
Let's also not forget that all those volumes are "nominal volume", not the actual volume, and are assessed without substratum, filled to the rim, and generally are quite a bit higher than the volume an aquarist may be able to accomplish in each tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store