Any Sci-Fi Fantasy book fans out there?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Heck yeah, great book! As soon as I finish book 10 of Steven Erikson I'll be starting Wise Man's Fear. I was also pretty excited because the day I got both books in the mail (Thursday) they announced the release date for George RR Martin's "A Dance with Dragons" which is July 12, and if you've been waiting for that book, well you know it's been about 5 years of waiting so that's awesome too. :)
Enjoy the book! I'm going to google G.RR Martins book you mentioned. I've seen his books but haven't read any. I've been so into Edding,Feist,McCaffrey,Donaldson,Julian May sometimes you forget to read other authors. If you haven't read the "One Tree" by Donaldson read it, awsome awsome series! I read it many years ago and I'm pretty sure I'm remembering the author correctly and the "Many Colored Land" by Julian May great series as well. And of course everything from the other 3 authors I mentioned were nonstop type reading, for me anyways:) I've also read many books in between by Gerrold,Jeffries,Brooks also all very good writers.

Treefork

AC Members
Oct 20, 2010
Northeast Indiana
pets.groups.yahoo.com
Real Name
Joe
Enjoy the book! I'm going to google G.RR Martins book you mentioned. I've seen his books but haven't read any. I've been so into Edding,Feist,McCaffrey,Donaldson,Julian May sometimes you forget to read other authors. If you haven't read the "One Tree" by Donaldson read it, awsome awsome series! I read it many years ago and I'm pretty sure I'm remembering the author correctly and the "Many Colored Land" by Julian May great series as well. And of course everything from the other 3 authors I mentioned were nonstop type reading, for me anyways:) I've also read many books in between by Gerrold,Jeffries,Brooks also all very good writers.
I'm always looking for new things to read. Check out George RR Martin for sure. His books are epic. They're actually releasing an HBO series based on his books this year I believe. It's called Fire & Ice. The first book in the series is "A Game of Thrones" there series is called "A Song of Fire and Ice". Great story.

Fishlock Holmes

AC Members
Jan 9, 2011
Central Indiana
Real Name
Rachel
I'm also a fan of Anne McCaffrey! Most of my suggestions have already been mentioned by others, but one author I didn't see yet is Christopher Rowley. I loved his Bazil Broketail series, and am trying to get all of his Arna series so I can read it too (I don't like starting a series until I've gotten all the books... there's nothing worse than wanting to read the next book and you can't find it!).

Also, while it's a different type of fantasy, I have to mention Brian Jacques' Redwall series. It's a fun series and a quick, easy read. Nothing as complex as the world of Pern, but entertaining nonetheless. :)

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I read the redwall ones when I was younger, they were a great read!

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
I'm always looking for new things to read. Check out George RR Martin for sure. His books are epic. They're actually releasing an HBO series based on his books this year I believe. It's called Fire & Ice. The first book in the series is "A Game of Thrones" there series is called "A Song of Fire and Ice". Great story.
Definately going to check this out, I've seen "A Game of Thrones" and filed it, haha, this time I wrote everything down! I saw the commercials for Fire and Ice, should be good. Watched a sci fi premiere show on the Science channel last night, I have no memory so I forgot the name, it was decent, hopefully will get better. There is an old series from John Varley I read years ago unfortunately can't remember the name of the books, very good. If you read Eddings the Belgariad comes first then the Malloreon, however the Tamuli which is a trilogy on it's own can be read before the Belgariad or the Malloreon, it has different characters totally. I loved the books and he makes his characters so real, and lots of action and funny,scary creatures, it's got everything!LOL, can you tell I love these books:) Ben Bova is good too and if you haven't read Dragon Riders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey that is also a must, start with "Dragon Flight","Dragonquest" and"White Dragon" AWWWWSOMMME!
Are you into fantasy art, like Frank Frazetta? He had a cartoon movie out many years ago called Fire and Ice, pretty good too. His art is wonderful, I like him better then Boris or Whalen.
Have fun reading, if anything else comes to mind I'll let you know. Don't forget "The One Tree" by Donaldson, wonderful series, I think it was 10 books.

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
have to agree i love her Valdemar books. but recently have been reading more sci-fi than fantasy. been reading alot of David Weber, Jack Cambell and John Scalzi come to mind immediately but there are lots of other ones. i also just got the kindell and already have it loaded with a crap tone of books that i plan to read.
So how do you like the Kindell? Can you google with that?

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
I'm also a fan of Anne McCaffrey! Most of my suggestions have already been mentioned by others, but one author I didn't see yet is Christopher Rowley. I loved his Bazil Broketail series, and am trying to get all of his Arna series so I can read it too (I don't like starting a series until I've gotten all the books... there's nothing worse than wanting to read the next book and you can't find it!).

Also, while it's a different type of fantasy, I have to mention Brian Jacques' Redwall series. It's a fun series and a quick, easy read. Nothing as complex as the world of Pern, but entertaining nonetheless. :)
I agree, I like to have all the books to a trilogy and as many as I can get for the bigger series. I hate when I finish one book and can't go on because I don't have then next! Another McCaffrey fan, isn't DR of P the best! I've read some of the books over quite a few times, like when I'm between books I'll get one I loved and reread it.

Buff

Former Squid
Oct 5, 2010
The Hills of NW Georgia
Real Name
Buff
The Hunger Games and sequels, currently... and if Heinlein wrote it, I've read it several times.

Last edited:

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store