Newbie raising some fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Id just wait and see if you get build up of waste anywhere before adding any powerheads or anything like that in.

What are your readings today? Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate please.

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Doesn't seem right to me. You only have one or two live plants? You should have nitrate readings. Are you following the directions for each test properly? Not shaking the solution bottle long enough can really throw results off. Sorry for stupid question, just trying to understand whats happening. Its a positive sign that you dont have any ammonia readings.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
IMO, the main thing is you are not indicating ammonia or nitrite. I wouldn't bother measuring pH or nitrate at this point. Keep up on frequent water changes and keep testing for ammonia and nitrite. 6-8weeks down the road, the tank should produce nothing but nitrate.

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but what type of biological filtration media does this tank have? All I see is some sort of under gravel filtration. This will eventually work as bio media too as beneficial bacteria will form in/on the substrate and all hardscape, I was just curious if there's other filtration on this tank.

TBear

AC Members
Aug 31, 2018
I have a topfin 40. Thank you for asking freshy, it had a black filter in there. I changed it out for the white filter with carbon inside.

TBear

AC Members
Aug 31, 2018
And Defj, before the nitrites were through the roof, close to 5-8 ppm. Now it’s nil, freshy found it weird also.

I’ll take a photo of my filter and the black filter I removed. Please advise why the black one was there

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store