putting fish to sleep quick

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
sumthin fishy said:
. . .
Now I know we cant ask the fish what it would prefer, or "hey was that a good way to go?" But you asked it so I answered. As far as fish are concerned, it seems you prefer the clove oil method and thats your choice, your oppinion, thats fine.
Exactly, and it's all good :)

Others have different methods, to each thier own. I like the quick and dead method myself.
I think the thing that bothers me about this the most is . . . what if you MISS? Or don't hit dead center? It could happen and the pain would be horrible.

Roan

new2tanks

AC Members
Feb 18, 2006
t.o
Although i have never had to eauthanize a fish ever, i read the following quote on eauthanization in a book hat m reading in an effort to be a better fishkeeper:

"If you have terminally ill fish but do not have access to anesthetics,there are alternative methods of euthanasia. However, these must be done properly so always seek advice from someone experienced in the subject. Never flush a fish down a toilet, put it in the freezer, decapitate it or drop it into very hot or very cold water as this can cause suffering."

--- 500 Ways to be a better freshwater fishkeeper by Bailey, Evans, Fletcher, Green, Hiscock, Lambert and Robinson.

this is not necessarily my point of view ,just sharing what i read in a book.

Raskolnikov

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
I pulverize the head, either with a club or the back of an axe. I'll occaisionally use CO2 gas pumped vigorously into a vessel with no other agitation, as this works very rapidly as will, IME.

I've tried clove oil on a few occaisions, and even with it thoroughly mixed the fish tended to struggle a great deal. I've tried freezing methods as well, even the combination of ice-cold water inundated with CO2 (dry ice in a 5g bucket of water, waiting until the water starts to freeze over). This takes a while if you aren't performing it on a tiny fish, and I once had a fish jump out of such an arrangement. Never again.

jhill118

Registered Member
Dec 9, 2009
The CNS (central nervous system) is destroyed immediately, if the neurons are spread out over your shoe then they can’t talk to one another, thus the fish ceases to be…
Oh my dear, sweet Lord. I read this, and at first almost giggled, as I thought this was a child's interpretation of neuroscience. I realize quickly that it was an adult, and became afraid for my species.

First of all, the "neurons are all over your shoe". Are you serious? I suppose technically speaking, that is true as virtually all of the fish is all over your shoe. However, neurons do not communicate with each other, they communicate with the brain via CNS, relaying messages of pain, stimulus, sensory information. Their messages travel far faster than your barbarian-style boot does, so yes, the neurons did, for a brief time, relay pain. Speaking of brief time...

There is no unit of time in science known as immediately. There is a moment of time between when your shoe fully contacts and transfers force, and the fish is destroyed. Ergo, there is a moment when pain is felt, as the force transfer between your foot and the fish and the Earth beneath it is not of the same, or faster, velocity than the signals of the primitive, all-be-it present neurons.

I'm not arguing one way or the other on the ethical matter. I am, however, arguing on the informed matter.

Yes, if you kill your fish, and any animal, by stomping (or dropping a freeway overpass on it, as another user pointed out) it WILL feel pain. It will be only for a brief moment, less than .1 seconds probably. The most painless way to put a Fish down is with clove oil or another anesthetic.

This is my first and last post on the site. Good God I had heard this was a respectable site until my first thread I read is a vegetarian recommending stomping a fish out and its okay because their neurons are on your foot and then a bunch of people freaking agreeing with him.

Open a science book before you start mislabeling quick and painful ways of euthanasia as quick and painless. The realization that there is, in fact, a singular instant of pain is enough to discourage most.

Clove oil.
Go buy it.
Put your boot away, Conan.

Last edited:

chucke

AC Members
Oct 19, 2007
York, Pa
Throw it in the Woods/Weeds, This will allow it to continue keep the life cycle going if say a raccoon eats it. Plus if you don't have to do the dirty deed.

Trigger1985

AC Members
Jul 31, 2009
Arlington Heights, IL (near Chicago)
I've heard of vets using CO2 to put small animals to sleep, but the animal in a small box, pump in CO2.
And I'd think that the freezing method, whether it be a slow freeze or the drop in a vat of icy water would work. I don't know if you've ever seen someone with severe hyptothermia, they just get really tired and fall asleep, if they don't warm up, they don't wake up.
And I'm pretty sure that the temp change from near 80 to the lower 30's would be enough to enduce shock in the fish- which is pretty much a state of non-responsive. Had enough severe injuries to know shock keeps you from hurting- till it wears off, by which time you'd have a fishcicle.
And the boot/hammer/ cinder block method has it's warrents too- the shotgun slug to a danio may be a bit excessive, haha.
I'd pick any of those instead of dieing of dropsy, or ich, or any number of ways that fish die, but thats just me.

danclark

AC Members
Mar 23, 2009
edmonds wa
here is my story of putting fish down, first let me say that i never like having to do it but some times you cant watch your animal suffer anymore. .. these are my experiences and how i failed misserably at it.

ive tried cutting there head off straight through the spine, or clubbing them like you would a game fish to break there "neck". my fail here is you dont ever realize how thick or strong the vertebrea or skin is on your fish.. i invisioned a quick chop and a instant end to there life, not the case there skin can be thick and you end up taking way more time that you thought. and i caused more suffering that i was attempting to prevent.

freezing for me is the easier way. you dont have to do anything messy and its out of sight and mind, probubly the easiest for the fish keeper to deal with. as for the fishes expereince i cant say cause i dont look in on it periodically while in the freezer. just remove later and discard.

feeding , big risk of getting your other fish sick . ive done this once with some goldies to my oscar, didnt turn out so well.

flushing, never tried it as my fish are to big.

i think what ever methode you choose is up to you, just be ready for things to go other than you may have expected.

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
I'd say a swift chop of the head would be the quickest way. Only my opinion.

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
I wonder why someone would dredge up a 3 yr old post on euthanizing fish, make one post, and say they are never coming back. And judge the whole forum based on this one thread??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store