Tetra with shimmies?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Stormyrose786

AC Members
Mar 10, 2020
Brent, AL, US
Real Name
Cassie
Yeah, i guess it just how overbred bettas r.

they r so pretty, so derpy cuties. I think you would do great with them, whatever serious happen to yours it not ur fault. It just how overbred they r :)
I like salt water to but unfortunately is hard yes and just expensive. I tend to struggle with fresh water to.
☺

Reactions: Sprinkle

Stormyrose786

AC Members
Mar 10, 2020
Brent, AL, US
Real Name
Cassie
The fact that the fish is not eating makes me thing we are talking something digestive. But this also limits the potential types of treatments that can be used.

Some folks believe that Epsom salts will relieve constipation in fish, other do not. The Problem with using Epsom is that it makes the water harder fast. So using this with fish which naturally prefer softer water and lower pH can react poorly.

The only fish I have treated with Epsom was a swordtail. I was not sure if it was constipated or fry bound. I combined salt and Epsom and after a few weeks it was back to normal with one exception. It was a Fm fish and, after it recovered, it never gave birth again. If I were to suggest this sort of thing, I am not sure for your fish if a lower level treatment in the H tank or a stronger treatment as a dip in a bath would be the best alternative if doing this.

Next, I cannot say why your fish is plugged up which means I cannot say what might be a good treatment. There is always a chance it recovers on its own, especially if it is just garden variety constipation from over eating or eating the wrong thing. But that is a somewhat longshot.

If you are putting it into the 10 gal., if you have some fakes plants, add a few. Being able to hide lets the fish feel safe, which means less stress. Hopefully, you will see any poop or expelled worms if there is any of either.

Adult fish in good shape can go some time without eating. Years back I purchased a lot of used tanks and equipment from a cichlid breeder whose back surgery forced him out of the hobby. He needed to sell everything, especially the fish. They did not move out fast. He had stopped feeding the tanks. I visited several times over about 5 weeks to negotiate and then to pickup a pair of 6 foot tanks and all the equipment with them. His fish were always there and mostly still alive.

In your case, if the fish does not get better and resume eating, it will weaken and die. So, you may have to use the "take your best shot" treatment methodology.

I agree...I don't even expect it to be alive tomorrow when I get back...but if it is, I'll just keep trying.

I wanted to treat with salt, but I read that tetras are sensitive to salt. And I know from experience that cories & snails are, too.

I do already have plenty of hiding spaces in both tanks.

Stormyrose786

AC Members
Mar 10, 2020
Brent, AL, US
Real Name
Cassie
Pease, pease and peas. If he eats it ofc, if not try daphnia. If it is from constipation, this might help him or epsom salt bath for 15-20mins.
Dont give ur hope up :)

Thanks

I never heard of daphnia.

And I read tetras are sensitive to salt, & ot's not safe for them.

Apr 2, 2002
New York

There is a difference between adding salt to tank (bath) and doing a dip, which is short duration immersion. This is normally though of as an external prolem treatment, but for some fish a bath is a way to get things inside a fish as well yet not overexpose it to something that would become a problem over an extended time period. What I was taught when it came to a salt dip was, take the fish out when it starts acting like it is drunk. Out it back into its normal water.

Reactions: Stormyrose786

Stormyrose786

AC Members
Mar 10, 2020
Brent, AL, US
Real Name
Cassie

There is a difference between adding salt to tank (bath) and doing a dip, which is short duration immersion. This is normally though of as an external prolem treatment, but for some fish a bath is a way to get things inside a fish as well yet not overexpose it to something that would become a problem over an extended time period. What I was taught when it came to a salt dip was, take the fish out when it starts acting like it is drunk. Out it back into its normal water.
Okay, thanks, I might try that.

And thanks for the picture.

Stormyrose786

AC Members
Mar 10, 2020
Brent, AL, US
Real Name
Cassie
Actually, I know this thread has gotten long - sorry - but could you give me a little more info on the salt dip?

The only salt I have ever used - been comfortable using - is aquarium salt.

And if I do a dip, how many days?

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Daphnia is a frozen food for fish, water fleas or water bugs. I would stay out of live foods.
And fish should be fed variety of foods, from commercial to frozen or freeze dried and since you got guppys in i would recommend you to offer them couple veggies per week and algae wafers to ☺

i like to use hikaris algae wafers.

Reactions: Stormyrose786
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store