Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. V

Newbie saying hello and welcoming advice!

Your tank is way too small for a regal (hippo) tang. 25 gallons, right? These fish get huge and need AT LEAST a 100 gal tank. Many places actually recommend 180 gal minimum. I have a tiny regal tang in my 55 gal temporarily, and it is too small for him. I am moving him to a 125 in a couple...
  2. V

mushrooms stung

They were definitely stung. They were happy and fully open until the frogspawn rolled over them. It even sort of stung me when I picked it up to put it back. I grabbed the hard stub of course, but one of my fingers touched the fleshy part briefly and I felt a weird sting. It was obviously...
  3. V

mushrooms stung

Hello, earlier today my frogspawn fell off of it's rock (i was cleaning part of the front glass and making too big of waves, and it kind of floated up with a wave. oops) it rolled over my rock of red mushrooms, and apparently stung every single one of them in in about 1 second) They are now...
  4. V

RO DI - With or Without pump?

Here is a pic of how I hooked up my ro/di unit. I used a y valve with shut off on my washing machine's cold water output, and then I can turn the ro/di unit on and off as I please, but leave the washing machine's side on. I purposely bought a brass valve, because the plastic ones seemed way...
  5. V

upgrade soon

Thanks, guys! I'm really anxious to set up the 125. My 55 is looking tinier and tinier every day... :)
  6. V

white spots

If your water quality is great, and your fish are eating, do not immediately start thinking of ways to treat them. Feed them a little extra and monitor for a few days, and most likely they will rid themselves of it. Starting any type of treatment will only cause stress and lower immune system...
  7. V

upgrade soon

Thanks, Greech!! I keep inspecting the hippo to make sure he's staying healthy, and so far so good. He ate well again this morning, and is out and about, and not afraid of any of the other fish. My yellow tang even darted at him, because he can be a jerk like that, and the hippo held his...
  8. V

upgrade soon

So, my dad accidentally let it slip that he and my boyfriend are getting me a 125 gal tank for Christmas. Needless to say, I am beyond excited. I'm usually really good about avoiding impulse buys (at least with fish), but after hearing about what the near future holds, I got a little carried...
  9. V

Switching Tanks - Help

Dwarf puffers/ pea puffers are freshwater fish, so you can't add one at all. Plus, your tank is already maxed out with a striped damsel and clownfish. 10 gallons is very very little room, and the more cramped fish feel, the more stressed they become, and possibly more aggressive. You need to...
  10. V

Switching Tanks - Help

Glad it worked out. You should definitely have less salt creep without the bubbles popping. If you go to a website like marinedepot.com, they have some nano sized powerheads which are fairly cheap. It would benefit your tank a lot to even just have one.
  11. V

Switching Tanks - Help

If you're just planning on moving everything to the same exact tank - another 10 gal - why don't you just empty out about half the water to make it lighter (turn off your heater), and then pick up the tank and move it, then refill with the new water you mixed? A 10 gal tank can't be too heavy...
  12. V

fish friendship

Sorry about your angel, and sorry for your clown as well... I'm actually starting to get nervous for my goby. I've had him just about two years, and i've read in a few places they only live two years max. He's still active and eats well, but I have no idea how you tell if a fish is 'old'...
  13. V

Is this fish aggression?

You went and bought a clown after all these other issues you were having??? First of all your tank is not big enough! Secondly, i'm convinced the only reason the damsel is still alive at this point is because they are just generally REALLY hardy fish. Why on earth do you have this tank set up...
  14. V

Saltwater Help/Opinions

No, by established tank I mean mature tank - a tank which has been up and running for a minimum of 6 months, if not a year. Balanced, with lots of life and natural food for the inhabitants. Your tank is brand new. If it smells like dirty, dead fish, you have something rotting somewhere in...
  15. V

Need a quick confirmation of Aiptasia please!

Yes, that's definitely aiptasia, but I bet your other rock is okay. Usually aiptasia will only release spores if it feels threatened, or you mess with it at all. I had three aiptasia in my tank for about 8 months (all on one piece of rock), and they never spread until i messed with them, and...
  16. V

Saltwater Help/Opinions

I honestly can't tell anything from those pics, except for the salt creep, which I already gave you my opinion on that. :) What exactly does it smell like? Can you describe it at all? Rotten eggs? Also, I'm not too familiar with chocolate chip starfish, but i'm pretty certain all starfish...
  17. V

fish friendship

These are pics of my midas blenny and neon goby, who are always together. They hang out together all day, they swim together, and they sleep in the same rock together. They're adorable. :) These pics are from my phone, so they're not that great. Plus, the fish were a little freaked out I was...
  18. V

phantom peppermint shrimp

Thanks, greech! I did turn off all my powerheads and let the aiptasia x sit undisturbed for about 15 minutes. I made sure to really pile it on too, but I just didn't have any luck with it. My peppermint shrimp are really destroying them, though. I can only count about five left. They're even...
  19. V

Saltwater Help/Opinions

There is definitely something wrong with your tank if it smells so bad. If I were you, I would take all the animals back to your lfs, take apart the tank to find what the problem is, and start over. By the way, splashing and bubbles is the reason you have salt everywhere, which you also...
  20. V

Saltwater Help/Opinions

Ideally, live rock should be very porous and not too heavy. If it's truly solid, it's not live rock and is providing no benefit to your tank. Water should be able to move through it, and creatures should be able to crawl into it. You should replace your airstone with a powerhead. The bubbles...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store