How long do I keep my betta in the hospital container after treatment?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PurpleGem

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
Camera Used
Canon Eos 450d, GoPro and my phone camera
I treated my betta with Blue Planet's tri sulfa and although during treatment it seemed to get worse, after the treatment finished the symptoms have nearly disappeared.
How much longer should I keep him separated?

He shares the main tank with some endlers, the lady who was instructing me on treatments says his tankmates were stressing him (he mostly ignored them, and they ignored him, he got along with them) where I'm almost certain it was the horrible water parameters (which are now fixed! Yay, tank is properly cycled now!!). I'm kind of worried that she's right but I'm certain it was just the water.

DSC_0934 (2).JPG Photo from yesterday, treatment had finished on the 27th. The white stuff by his left gill is nearly completely gone. I've seen some finer white stuff by his right eye and above the mouth by the nose, but those seem to be coming and going too.

Screenshot_20201222-165655.png <-Images from during treatment. ->DSC_0953 (2).JPG

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I believe it is better to err on the side of to long rather than not long enough. Bacterial can be stubborn and still lurk at a low level and will resurge. That is why we sometimes need two rounds of treatment.

The first thing we want to see is the progression stops, Then we want to see healing. But what we really need to know is that the healing continues and there are no signs of the problem recurring.

When I quarantine new tank raised fish I want 30 consecutive days of no symptoms. This is not the same thing, but I would suggest at least two solid weeks of improvement in the condition and 0 signs of any new problems. If you wanted to go for 4 weeks I would not argue.

When I treat in an H tank I like to put in some rock )or a ceramic log) and some artificial plants. I want to give a fish a place to hide but I also want to be able to bleach and reuse the decor the next time should the fish die rather than recover. I feel the cover helps to reduce the potential stress level of the patient.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I don't see a couple of endlers stressing a Betta, but as you have noted they ignore each other.... don't worry about that. As long as the water parameters are fine, he's going to be fine for the next month.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
I don't see a couple of endlers stressing a Betta, but as you have noted they ignore each other.... don't worry about that. As long as the water parameters are fine, he's going to be fine for the next month.
Agreed, my Peanut accepted a young female guppie and will not accept any other fish. He sure is a very intriguing fish ?

Reactions: PurpleGem

PurpleGem

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
Camera Used
Canon Eos 450d, GoPro and my phone camera
I believe it is better to err on the side of to long rather than not long enough. Bacterial can be stubborn and still lurk at a low level and will resurge. That is why we sometimes need two rounds of treatment.

The first thing we want to see is the progression stops, Then we want to see healing. But what we really need to know is that the healing continues and there are no signs of the problem recurring.

When I quarantine new tank raised fish I want 30 consecutive days of no symptoms. This is not the same thing, but I would suggest at least two solid weeks of improvement in the condition and 0 signs of any new problems. If you wanted to go for 4 weeks I would not argue.

When I treat in an H tank I like to put in some rock )or a ceramic log) and some artificial plants. I want to give a fish a place to hide but I also want to be able to bleach and reuse the decor the next time should the fish die rather than recover. I feel the cover helps to reduce the potential stress level of the patient.
It seems like it's getting better but I see some small specks on him that I'm not sure about and some stringy grey fuzz on one of his fins... I'm wondering if I should re-treat him now or wait another week or so and see if it goes away? He's been much more active since the treatments have finished.

He never really used caves and I don't have any small enough that would fit in it. He's got a small silk plant (that if I had to throw away I wouldn't mind too much) and an Indian almond leaf that he can swim under and lay on. He actually made a tiny bubble nest in it while I was treating him so I think he doesn't mind it too much.
DSC_0949a.JPG

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store