How long do I keep my betta in the hospital container after treatment?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PurpleGem

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
Camera Used
Canon Eos 450d, GoPro and my phone camera
I would go ahead & retreat now. No sense in waiting until it gets worse if there are still spots like the original infection as opposed to signs of healing. How long was the first treatment?
First treatment was 4 doses, every 3 days. The signs seems to being going though but I'll retreat. His fins still look terrible, he has pinholes in them that won't heal.

PurpleGem

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
Camera Used
First treatment was 4 doses, every 3 days. The signs seems to being going though but I'll retreat. His fins still look terrible, he has pinholes in them that won't heal.
I mean one dose every 3 days, 4 doses total. Didn't double dosage, medication says to treet for 10 days minimum so will do that with repeat.

Reactions: fishorama

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Usually I had my previous fighters or bettas if ya want have had pinholes in there tails and then BAM! dropsy out of nowhere. I ain’t say he must have dropsy ofc, but as precaution just look for signs of dropsy. Belly swell, pineconing and possibly pinholes, 3 pinholes usually the sign IME.

Reactions: PurpleGem

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
PG, I think you're doing the right treatment of 10 days. The "pinholes" may heal eventually, I don't know what they may be. But they don't seem as dire as the other issues. Sometimes we have to treat 1 problem at a time...Good luck, & keep us up to date

PurpleGem

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
Camera Used
PG, I think you're doing the right treatment of 10 days. The "pinholes" may heal eventually, I don't know what they may be. But they don't seem as dire as the other issues. Sometimes we have to treat 1 problem at a time...Good luck, & keep us up to date
I've started the repeat, going to do it for the same amount of time. He's been pretty active lately, I think he wants to get back to the main tank but he has to wait a little longer. Haven't seen any more spots or anything, it's hard to see the side of him if he has any of those yellow spots again or not but he seems to be improving more than declining. Will keep posting, thanks for all your advice.

PurpleGem

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
Camera Used
Usually I had my previous fighters or bettas if ya want have had pinholes in there tails and then BAM! dropsy out of nowhere. I ain’t say he must have dropsy ofc, but as precaution just look for signs of dropsy. Belly swell, pineconing and possibly pinholes, 3 pinholes usually the sign IME.
He's had some in his fins before, I've read that they can be from bacterial diseases (which I'm treating him for) or from tearing the fins by flaring. I saw he had some scales standing up by the dodgy gill of his but they went back down and it wasn't full bodied pineconing. Hopefully it won't come to that as I don't have any clove oil on hand and I don't want to lose him. He has a bit of a belly (I think I accidentally overfed him in the community tank with all the competing fish) but it never affected his swim bladder, with the control the hospital tank has given me I've been limiting his food but he gets less exercise in the container than the main tank. I do flare him to give him a little exercise but I don't want him to get too worked up while he needs to recover.

PurpleGem

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
Camera Used
Photos I took yesterday.
DSC_1023.JPG
Possible specks of something by his nostril that I only noticed in the photos but it's hard to tell.
DSC_1020.JPG
I don't know if that bit on his side will ever heal, looks like a scar. Looks like the stuff ate away part of his left gill cover too.

• Sad
Reactions: Sprinkle

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
He's had some in his fins before, I've read that they can be from bacterial diseases (which I'm treating him for) or from tearing the fins by flaring. I saw he had some scales standing up by the dodgy gill of his but they went back down and it wasn't full bodied pineconing. Hopefully it won't come to that as I don't have any clove oil on hand and I don't want to lose him. He has a bit of a belly (I think I accidentally overfed him in the community tank with all the competing fish) but it never affected his swim bladder, with the control the hospital tank has given me I've been limiting his food but he gets less exercise in the container than the main tank. I do flare him to give him a little exercise but I don't want him to get too worked up while he needs to recover.
IK what ya meant you no wanna lose him.. I lost two bettas to dropsy and other two to low temperature and misinformation. For how long is he bloated?

• Sad

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
He looks lots!! better. It could be missing scales on his side, they may grow back in time...the gill cover, I'm not so hopeful about. What are the yellow spots? It doesn't look the same as the yellow speckles he had all over, but maybe not normal either.

His fins seem better too, maybe a couple specks? But it's hard to tell with pics...I don't see the issues you do, you have a much better view than we do.

I still say if you are worried, continue the sulfa & maybe go an extra tx or 2. You & we all want this over with a return to health for him. Good luck & fingers crossed!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store